Tiigiveski park
baltisuvi.ee

Tiigiveski park

Kopeeri jagamislink
4.5 (65 hinnangut)
Juhkentali 10, 10138 Tallinn, Eesti

Park

24h
Tiigiveski Park was created in the early 20th century at the Härjapea (Ox Head) River stream bed and Tiigiveski Pond. The watermill known as Tiigiveski (Teichmühle) existed already in the Middle Ages (was mentioned already in the 13th century as the mill grinding grain for the Mihkli convent), the buildings of it have been preserved by now, though strongly reconstructed (Juhkentali 11). The pond became swampy at the beginning of the 20th century and was therefore filled up in 1912−1913. The trash from the construction site of „Estonia” theatre was used [...]Tiigiveski Park was created in the early 20th century at the Härjapea (Ox Head) River stream bed and Tiigiveski Pond. The watermill known as Tiigiveski (Teichmühle) existed already in the Middle Ages (was mentioned already in the 13th century as the mill grinding grain for the Mihkli convent), the buildings of it have been preserved by now, though strongly reconstructed (Juhkentali 11). The pond became swampy at the beginning of the 20th century and was therefore filled up in 1912−1913. The trash from the construction site of „Estonia” theatre was used for the filling. On the initiative of the town gardener Hans Lepa, who lived nearby, the city’s tree nursery and greenhouses were established on the plot. Since 1913 there existed a football stadium of the sporting society „Kalev” on one verge of the present‑day park at Herne Street. The first international match held on the home grounds took place there in 1921 (the match between Estonia and Sweden ended up with the score 0 : 0). This section of Härjapea River was finally enclosed underground only before the World War II. Because of the idlers hanging around among the brushwood on the shores of the river, who sometimes bothered the passers‑by, people started to call this place Pasatski (Rogue’s) Park. The park in its present shape originates from the Soviet times, the „Kalev” basketball hall was erected in 1962 on the grounds of the former gardening farm and arboretum. An athletic hall and tennis court were erected behind it somewhat later. One can see the old buildings of central hospital, which has been existing at this location since the 18th century, near the park on the slope of a hill. On the other side, behind the present‑day athletic hall, one can see the so‑called Poolamägi (Polish Hill) which used to be a catholic congregation’s cemetery. www.tallinn.ee